Tuesday, January 23, 2007

First Life or Second Life

I've been a blog slug the last few weeks. I just haven't had time to come up with anything coherent or interesting. It's just been a busy few weeks. That inspired this post.

I don't understand the attraction of Second Life. I'm too busy in the real Earl World to have time to support a second, parallel Earl World in the virtual Second Life universe. But it seems you can't surf around without reading something about Second Life. Reuters has a virtual news bureau there. I can understand why Wired would want to be there. Our government is starting a presence there. You can go to museums. A lot of education venues are popping up there. Businesses are showing up in Second Life too. These are just a few of the Second Life announcements I've collected in the last few months. For most of these, I question whether or not the virtual front end of Second Life is the best platform to use - especially for a company meeting or a class. Perhaps a Second Lifer who reads this can explain the fascination.

My feelings about Second Life are well defined in this parody website called First Life. I think it's hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huh?