Friday, October 14, 2005

Dead or Alive?

I ran across an interesting site the other day -- the Dead People Server. It's not fancy, but it's a nice site to solve the occasional question of whether so-and-so is dead or alive. There are quite a few links to other sites like the Internet Movie Database.

I recently saw the film To Have and Have Not and was wondering if Lauren Bacall was still alive. When the Vichy government official is reviewing her passport in the film, he mentions her age of 22 (filmed in 1944 she was actually only 20). By the way, I can't recommend the film even though I'm a big Humphrey Bogart fan. I didn't think the story was that strong and I could have done without so much Hogey Carmichael. There were some good scenes and the historical significance for Bogart & Bacall came through. I've never read the book, but I can only hope the US government restrictions on the original screenplay resulted in changes that compromised the Hemingway novel.

I think the Hawks film The Big Sleep with Bogart & Bacall was much better. With William Faulkner writing the screenplay, The Big Sleep has a better story.

Oh....and she's still alive.

No comments: