Tuesday, May 09, 2006

New 7 Wonders

A Swiss based group called the "New7Wonders Foundation" is sponsoring a global vote to select a new set of 7 wonders of the world. Apparently there was a list of 77 nominees that was narrowed down to 21 candidates at the beginning of this year. You have plenty of time to review the candidates and make your vote. The final selection will be announced on 7/7/07 (I wonder if the announcement will be at 7:07 and 7 seconds on the morning?).

Personally, I don't understand all the nominees. Some are clear: the Great Wall and the pyramids at Giza. Clearly they seem like worthy candidates. I'm curious about the other nominees that didn't make the final set. I can't help but think there are significant structures that should have made the list ahead of some of these (e.g. the Statue of Liberty). But, since I didn't vote for the finalists I guess I should be quiet.

You can become a free member of the N7W foundation and place your 7 votes. You can also buy votes by purchasing a certificate for a site or sites. The proceeds go to funding the voting as well as providing money to restore or preserve historical structures (50% of money earmarked for preservation work). Thanks to Michael at the Neverending Rainbow for pointing out this site.

No comments: