Thursday, February 22, 2007

M&M's Dark and The Scream

Dianne and I were fortunate to visit Oslo in the 90s. I had to attend a training course in Denmark for work and we went over early before I headed to the course. We spent some time in Denmark and Norway. In Oslo we saw the large version of Edvard Munch’s painting The Scream in the National Gallery. It’s exciting to see famous works of art that you’ve only seen as reproductions.

In 2004, another version of the painting was stolen from the Munch museum. I remembered hearing a news story last year that the painting was finally recovered. Not being a huge candy eater, I didn’t know the rest of the story until today. I thought I’d keep my M&M theme going for another post even though this is old news.

Apparently there is a ‘new’ variety of M&M’s out there – M&M’s Dark Chocolate Candies. Part of the ad campaign for the new candy placed an M&M in Munch’s painting. The campaign was announced while the painting was still missing. Masterfoods (owner of M&M) offered a reward of 2 million of the new M&Ms for the return of the painting. Less than 2 weeks after their announcement, the painting was found! Apparently Masterfoods is going to make good on the reward that amounts to a retail value of $22,000. If they had only waited a couple weeks!

No comments: