Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wiki Trust

It's no secret I like Wikipedia. I use it all the time to look up stuff. I think it's a good starting point. However, you have to remember it is a grass roots information source. The wisdom of crowds theory isn't always true and there are errors in entries. If you go in with your eyes wide open, I think it's a good tool.

The folks at the UCSC Wiki Lab put together a demonstration that uses coloring to convey the trust of the person that provided information for a given entry in the Wikipedia. It's an interesting idea. My biggest complaint is the color differences are subtle. It's sometimes hard to discern the difference in shading. It kinda reminds me of a cell phone coverage map where it seems they purposely choose the colors to make it difficult to see differences in service. Nevertheless, an interesting idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should go to the next Wikimania and complain;) i went in 06...Boston. It was great! And the food, i swear, was unbelievable. REally:)